The fortress of La Mothe occupied a strategic position in the Kingdom of France.
In 1546, Christina of Denmark – Regent of Lorraine and niece of the emperor Charles-Quint – ordered the construction of a fortified enclosure in accordance with the new Italian guidelines.
This enclosure allowed La Mothe to become the 2nd fortified place in Lorraine just behind Nancy.
The kings of France considered this construction as a provocation and a threat for their border, and it condemned the city’s existence.
After three reigns in 1634, 1642-43 and 1644-45, the city was finally completely destroyed in 1645 and its citizens were dispersed.

To visit the historical site of La Mothe, please contact the association to the mail address below.

www.la-mothe.eu
association@la-mothe.eu

52150
SOULAUCOURT SUR MOUZON
Openning
  • From : 01/01/2020 to : 31/12/2020
Groups welcome
  • YES
Photographic credit